Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Suleika: Als ich auf dem Euphrat schiffte, Streifte sich der goldne Ring Finger ab, in Wasserklüfte, Den ich jüngst von dir empfing. Also träumt ich. Morgenröte Blitzt' ins Auge durch den Baum, Sag, Poete, sag, Prophete! Was bedeutet dieser Traum?
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, written 1815, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 8. Buch Suleika -- Suleika Nameh [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Konrad Heubner (1860 - 1905), "Suleikas Traum", op. 2 (Sechs Lieder von Goethe für 1 mittlere Singstimme mit Pianofortebegleitung) no. 5, published 1883 [medium voice and piano], Leipzig, Rieter-Biedermann [text not verified]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Als ich auf dem Euphrat schiffte", 1888, published 1891 [voice and piano], from Goethe-Lieder, no. 41, Mainz, Schott [text verified 1 time]
This text (or a part of it) is used in a work
- by Johanna Kinkel, née Mockel (1810 - 1858), "Traumdeutung", op. 10 (Sechs Lieder) no. 5, published 1839, note: the text consists of stanza 1 of "Als ich auf dem Euphrat schiffte" followed by the first two stanzas of "Dies zu deuten bin erbötig!".
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "When I was sailing on the Euphrates", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Catherine Beloin) , title 1: "Alors que je naviguais sur l'Euphrate", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Viaggiavo in nave sul fiume Eufrate", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 9
Word count: 40
Suleika: Viaggiavo in nave sul fiume Eufrate quando dal dito mi cadde l'anello dorato, e presto scomparve nelle acque agitate, l'anello che tu mi avevi appena donato. Questo fu il sogno. Poi attraverso le piante luce d'aurora i miei occhi ha colpito. Dimmi poeta, dimmi veggente, ha questo sogno un significato?
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2011 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, written 1815, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 8. Buch Suleika -- Suleika Nameh
This text was added to the website: 2011-03-01
Line count: 9
Word count: 51