Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
О Дельвиг, Дельвиг! Что награда И дел высоких и стихов? Таланту что и где отрада Среди злодеев и глупцов? В руке суровой Ювенала Злодеям грозный быч свистит И краску гонит с их ланит. И власть тиранов задрожала. О Дельвиг, Дельвиг, что гоненья? Бессмертие равно удел И смелых вдохновенных дел И сладостного песнопеня! Так не умрёт и наш союз, Свободный, радостный и гордый! И в счастье и в несчастье твёрдый Союз любимцев вечных муз!
- by Wilhelm Küchelbeker (1797 - 1846) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Dmitri Dmitriyevich Shostakovich (1906 - 1975), "О Делвиг, Делвиг!", op. 135 no. 9, from Symphony no. 14, no. 9. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , title 1: "Oh Delvig, Delvig", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Salvador Pila) , title 1: "Oh Delvig, Delvig", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Wilhelm Küchelbeker) , title 1: "O Delwig, Delwig"
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Ô Delvig, Delvig !", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: John Versmoren
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 16
Word count: 73
Oh Delvig, Delvig! Where is the reward for good deeds and for the poetry? What place is there for talent amongst rascals and fools? In Juvenal's rigorous hand the frightful scourge menaces the villains and robs the colour of their cheeks. The power of tyrants trembled. Oh Delvig, Delvig! What is the pay for persecution? Immortality is yet the reward for valiant and courageous deeds or for delightful poetic singing. Thus, our alliance will never be lost, proud, joyful and free! And, for better or for worse, will remain unshaken the alliance of friends of the immortal muse!
- Translation from Russian (Русский) to English copyright © 2011 by Salvador Pila, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2011-05-22
Line count: 16
Word count: 98