Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Комнатка тесная, тихая, милая, Тень непроглядная, тень безответная, Дума глубокая, песня унылая, В бьющемся сердце надежда заветная Быстрый полёт за мгновеньем мгновения, Взор неподвижный на счастье далёкое, Много сомнения, много терпения, Вот она, ночь моя, ночь одинокая.
- by Arseny Arkad'yevich Golenishchev-Kutuzov (1848 - 1913) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Modest Petrovich Musorgsky (1839 - 1881), "В четырёх стенах", 1874, published 1874, from Без солнца = Bez solnca, no. 1. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sergey Rybin) , "Within four walls", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Entre quatre murs", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Frieder Anders) , "In den vier Wänden", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Zwischen vier Wänden", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 37
A tiny room, quiet and pleasant, An impenetrable darkness, irresponsive darkness; A deep thought, a sorrowful song; A treasured hope in the beating heart; Speedy flight of moment after moment; A petrified glance at a far-away happiness; Plenty of doubt, plenty of endurance. Here it is, my night, night of solitude.
- Translation from Russian (Русский) to English copyright © 2011 by Sergey Rybin, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Russian (Русский) by Arseny Arkad'yevich Golenishchev-Kutuzov (1848 - 1913)
This text was added to the website: 2011-06-19
Line count: 8
Word count: 51