Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Der Abend schleiert Flur und Hain In traulichholde Dämmrung ein; Hell flimmt, wo goldne Wölkchen ziehn, Der Stern der Liebeskönigin. Die Wogenfluth hallt Schlummerklang, Die Bäume lispeln Abendsang; Der Wiese Gras umgaukelt lind Mit Sylphenkuß der Frühlingswind. Der Geist der Liebe wirkt und strebt, Wo nur ein Puls der Schöpfung bebt; Im Strom, wo Wog' in Woge fließt, Im Hain, wo Blatt an Blatt sich schließt. O Geist der Liebe! führe du Dem Jüngling die Erkorne zu! Ein Minneblick der Trauten hellt Mit Himmelsglanz die Erdenwelt!
Confirmed with Gedichte von Friedrich von Matthisson. Erster Theil. Tübingen, bei Cotta, 1811, page 39.
Note: The initial version of this poem, published with the title Abendlied, is slightly different; see below.
- by Friedrich von Matthisson (1761 - 1831), "Geist der Liebe", written 1776-77 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Geist der Liebe", D 414 (1816), published 1895 [ voice, piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Geist der Liebe", op. 11 no. 3, D 747 (1822), published 1822 [ ttbb quartet with piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Set in a modified version by F. C. Füchs, Albert Gottlieb Methfessel, Hans Georg Nägeli, Friedrich Wilhelm Rust, Johann Rudolf Zumsteeg.
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "L'esperit de l'amor", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Geest van liefde", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "The spirit of love", copyright © 2011
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "L'esprit de l'amour", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Antonio Zencovich) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Iago Giné) , "Espíritu del amor", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 16
Word count: 86
Evening veils meadow and copse in a cosy, lovely twilight; where little golden clouds waft, the star of love's queen twinkles brightly. The surge of the tide resounds [with] a sleepy sound, the trees whisper an evening song, [and] the spring breeze with a sylphid kiss gently ruffles the grass of the meadow. The spirit of love takes effect and strives, wherever even a single pulse of Creation trembles: in the river, where wave flows upon wave, in the copse, where leaf interlocks with leaf. O spirit of love, lead the chosen one to the young man, [for] the love-filled glance of a beloved one brightens the terrestrial world with the brilliance of Heaven.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2011 by Emily Ezust
Emily Ezust permits her translations to be reproduced without prior permission for printed (not online) programs to free-admission concerts only, provided the following credit is given:
Translation copyright © by Emily Ezust,
from the LiederNet Archive -- https://www.lieder.net/
For any other purpose, please write to the e-mail address below to request permission and discuss possible fees.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Friedrich von Matthisson (1761 - 1831), "Geist der Liebe", written 1776-77
This text was added to the website: 2011-06-29
Line count: 16
Word count: 114