Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wenn zu der Regenwand Phöbus sich gattet, Gleich steht ein Bogenrand Farbig beschattet. Im Nebel gleichen Kreis Seh ich gezogen; Zwar ist der Bogen weiß, Doch Himmelsbogen. So sollst du, muntrer Greis, Dich nicht betrüben: Sind gleich die Haare weiß, Doch wirst du lieben.
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Phänomen", written 1816, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 1. Buch des Sängers -- Moganni Nameh, first published 1814 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Phänomen", op. 61 (Vier Duette) no. 3 (1874). [vocal duet] [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Wolfgang Michael Rihm (b. 1952), "Phänomen", 2004-7, first performed 2007 [baritone and piano], from Goethe-Lieder, no. 5. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Phänomen", 1888-9, published 1891 [voice and piano], from Goethe-Lieder, no. 32, Mainz, Schott [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Fenomeen", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Siân Goldthorpe) (Christian Stein) , title 1: "Phenomenon", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Phénomène", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Giulio Cesare Barozzi) , title 1: "Fenomeno", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Siân Goldthorpe
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 44
Quando a un muro di pioggia Febo si unisce, Subito appare un arco Ombreggiato di colori. Nella nebbia io vedo Disegnato un arco uguale; Certo, l'arco è bianco, Ma è l'arcobaleno. Dunque, allegro vegliardo, Non devi angustiarti: Anche se i capelli sono bianchi, Sì, amerai ancora.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2012 by Giulio Cesare Barozzi, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Phänomen", written 1816, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 1. Buch des Sängers -- Moganni Nameh, first published 1814
This text was added to the website: 2012-03-24
Line count: 12
Word count: 46