Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ich bin durch einen schönen Wald gekommen, Wo grüner Lorbeer und Wachholder stand; Drin hab' ich einen Jüngling wahrgenommen, Der war mit Namen Herzensdieb genannt. Daß Ihr derselbe seid, hab' ich vernommen, An Euren Farben hab' ich Euch erkannt; An Eurer Schönheit kannt' ich Euch im Nu, - Man warnt vor Euch: ich lache nur dazu.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Paul Heyse, Italienisches Liederbuch, Berlin: Verlag von Wilhelm Hertz (Bessersche Buchhandlung), 1860, page 35.
- by Paul Heyse (1830 - 1914), no title, appears in Italienisches Liederbuch, in Rispetti, in Toscanisch, no. 69, first published 1860 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Joseph Marx (1882 - 1964), "Die Begegnung", 1912 [ mezzo-soprano and piano or string quartet or orchestra ], from Italienisches Liederbuch, no. 11 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "The meeting", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2010-01-28
Line count: 8
Word count: 56
I walked through a beautiful wood, Where green laurel and juniper stood; Therein I became aware of a young man, He was named 'Heart-Thief.' I have perceived that you are the selfsame man, I knew you by your colours; By your beauty I knew you at once,- They utter warnings about you: I merely laugh at that.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2012 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Paul Heyse (1830 - 1914), no title, appears in Italienisches Liederbuch, in Rispetti, in Toscanisch, no. 69, first published 1860
This text was added to the website: 2012-07-23
Line count: 8
Word count: 57