Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
In den weissen Blüten Der hellen Rosen Mr ich verfluten. Doch auf den Teichen Warten die starren, seelenlosen Wasserrosen, Meiner Sehnsucht Kühle zu reichen.
- by Else Lasker-Schüler (1869 - 1945), "Kühle", appears in Die gesammelten Gedichte, Leipzig: Verlag der Weißen Bücher, first published 1917 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Gary Bachlund (b. 1947), "Kühle", 2010 [mezzo-soprano or soprano and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Gary Bachlund) , "Chill", written 2010, copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Froideur", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2011-12-29
Line count: 6
Word count: 24
Dans les blanches corolles Des roses claires Je suis submergée. Mais sur les étangs Les nymphéas figés et sans âme tardent À atteindre la froideur de mon désir.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2012 by Pierre Mathé, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Else Lasker-Schüler (1869 - 1945), "Kühle", appears in Die gesammelten Gedichte, Leipzig: Verlag der Weißen Bücher, first published 1917
This text was added to the website: 2012-12-03
Line count: 6
Word count: 28