Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Gestern fand ich, räumend eines langvergessnen Schrankes Fächer, Den vom Vater mir vererbten, meinen ersten Reisebecher. Währenddeß ich, leise singend, reinigt ihn vom Staub der Jahre, War's, als höbe mir ein Bergwind aus der Stirn die grauen Haare, War's, als dufteten die Matten, drein ich schlummernd lag versunken, War's, als rauschten alle Quelle, draus ich wandernd einst getrunken.
- by Conrad Ferdinand Meyer (1825 - 1898), "Der Reisebecher" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Jan Pieter Hendrik van Gilse (1881 - 1944), "Der Reisebecher", from Vier Gedichte von Conrad Ferdinand Meyer, no. 1 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Othmar Schoeck (1886 - 1957), "Der Reisebecher", op. 60 no. 19 (1946) [ medium voice and piano ], from Das stille Leuchten: Liederfolge nach Gedichten von Conrad Ferdinand Meyer, no. 19, Wien: Universal Edition [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Julius Weismann (1879 - 1950), "Der Reisebecher", op. 13 (Drei Lieder für mittlere Stimme) no. 1 (1903/4) [ medium voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Justus Hermann Wetzel (1879 - 1973), "Der Reisebecher" [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "The travelling mug", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "La chope de voyage", copyright © 2021, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Caroline Diehl , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 6
Word count: 58
Yesterday, clearing out the compartments of a long-forgotten cupboard, I found my first travelling mug, left to me by my father. While I, quietly singing, cleansed it of the dust of the years, It was as if a mountain wind were lifting my grey locks from my brow, It was as if the meadows, in which I once lay sunken in slumber, were filled with scent, It was as if all of the water springs from which I once drank while wandering were murmuring.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2013 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Conrad Ferdinand Meyer (1825 - 1898), "Der Reisebecher"
This text was added to the website: 2013-09-01
Line count: 6
Word count: 84