Thank you for visiting!
If you haven't already, please consider donating.
Visitor donations keep us online and growing!
Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Mir zittern die Saiten Und stimmen die Weise an, Die ich für dich vorzeiten, Die ich für dich in einem Mai Aus lauter Glück ersann. Ich führe den Bogen So scheu und leis gespannt, Wie ich ihn [da]1 gezogen, Da ich [in einer fernen]2 Nacht Vor deinem Fenster stand. Mein Herz ist beklommen Von Liedern andrer Zeit -- Weiß Gott, wie das gekommen, Daß mir aus deiner Liebe ward So eitel Weh und Leid.
About the headline (FAQ)
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada and the U.S., but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, pages 47-48.1 J. Marx: "dort"
2 J. Marx: "in ferner"
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Con sordino", written 1899, appears in Neue deutsche Lyriker III , in An die Schönheit, in Der Geiger, no. 2, first published 1919 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Richard Czelinski (1901 - 1969), "Con sordino", op. 3 no. 2 (1948) [ voice, piano, and violin ], from Der Geiger - Fünf Lieder nach Texten von Hermann Hesse, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Eduard Göttl , "Con sordino", op. 41, published 1911 [ four-part men's chorus and viola or harmonium ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Kurt Hessenberg (1908 - 1994), "Con sordino", op. 80 (Acht Lieder) no. 3 (<<1966) [ medium voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Artur Hoffmann (1864 - 1931), "Con sordino" [ voice and piano ], from Drei Lieder nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 3 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Joseph Marx (1882 - 1964), "Con sordino", 1904, published 1915 [ tenor and piano ], in Lieder und Gesänge, III. Folge, Nr.12 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Karl Marx (1897 - 1985), "Con sordino", published 1916 [ high male voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hans Nahme , "Con sordino ", 1949 [ voice, violin, and piano ], from Herbstkantate nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 12 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hans Wolfgang Sachsse (1891 - 1960), "Aria - Con sordino ", op. 17 no. 2 [ baritone, violin, and piano ], from Partita für Violine, Bariton und Klavier auf die Worte des Zyklus "Der Geiger" von Hermann Hesse, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Rudolf Semmler (1904 - 1988), "Con sordino", op. 1 (Fünf Lieder für hohe Stimme) no. 2 (1928), published 1942 [ high voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Alfred Stier (1880 - 1968), "Con sordino ", <<1954 [ voice and piano ], from Zwölf Gesänge nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 4 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Herbert Thienemann (1884 - 1963), "Con sordino ", published 1931 [ voice and guitar or lute ], from Sonne im Herbst - Lieder zur Gitarre (Laute), no. 42 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Paul Zoll (1907 - 1978), "Con sordino", published 1959 [ tenor and orchestra ], from Ode an die Musik - Kantate für Soli, Chor und Orchester , no. 2d [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2023, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Con sordino", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Con sordino", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-04-29
Line count: 15
Word count: 73
Your strings tremble for me And begin to sound the lay That I for you long ago, That I for you once in a May Created from pure happiness. I draw the bow [across the strings] So shyly and gently taut, As I drew it there When in a distant night I stood before your window. My heart is oppressed By songs of another time. God knows how it happened That your love created for me Such pure pain and sorrow.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2014 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Con sordino", written 1899, appears in Neue deutsche Lyriker III , in An die Schönheit, in Der Geiger, no. 2, first published 1919
This text was added to the website: 2014-02-17
Line count: 15
Word count: 81