Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Si tu veux je te donnerai Mon matin, mon matin gai Avec tous mes clairs cheveux Que tu aimes ; Mes yeux verts Et dorés Si tu veux. Je te donnerai tout le bruit Qui se fait Quand le matin s'éveille Au soleil Et l'eau qui coule Dans la fontaine Tout auprès ; Et puis encor le soir qui viendra vite. Le soir de mon âme triste A pleurer Et mes mains toutes petites Avec mon cœur qu'il faudra près du tien Garder.
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada and the U.S., but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.First published in Les Marges, no. 14, March 1909
- sometimes misattributed to Wilhelm Albert Włodzimierz Apolinary Kostrowicki (1880 - 1918)
- by Marie Laurencin (1883 - 1956), as Louise Lalanne, "Le présent", written 1908, appears in Il y a, in Trois Poèmes de Louise Lalanne, no. 1, Paris, Éd. Messein, first published 1909 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Louis Beydts (1896 - 1953), "Le présent", 1946, published 1947 [ high voice and piano ], from Trois mélodies pour chant et piano, no. 2, Éd. Durand [sung text not yet checked]
- by Robert Caby (1905 - 1992), "Le présent", 1952 [ high voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Jacques Leguerney (1906 - 1997), "Le présent", 1947, published 1988, first performed 1947 [ mezzo-soprano and piano ], from Quatre mélodies, no. 3, Paris, Max Eschig [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Francis Poulenc (1899 - 1963), "Le Présent", FP. 57 (1931), from Trois Poèmes de Louise Lalanne, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Bertram Kottmann) , "The present", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Das Geschenk", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 20
Word count: 83
If you wish I'll give to you my morning, my bright morning with all my light hair that you love; my eyes, green and golden, if you wish. I will give you all the sounds of the morning awakening to the sun and flowing water in the fountain nearby; And then also the evening which will come quickly. The night of my soul sad and full of tears and my tiny hands with my heart that needs to be close to yours to keep.
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2014 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in French (Français) misattributed to Wilhelm Albert Włodzimierz Apolinary Kostrowicki (1880 - 1918) and by Marie Laurencin (1883 - 1956), as Louise Lalanne, "Le présent", written 1908, appears in Il y a, in Trois Poèmes de Louise Lalanne, no. 1, Paris, Éd. Messein, first published 1909
This text was added to the website: 2014-08-17
Line count: 20
Word count: 84