Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Warum folgt er mir nur, Dieser schreckliche Mann, Warum lächelt er so, Warum sieht er mich an, Warum zuckt es so oft In dem bleichen Gesicht, Warum liebt er mich so, Warum sagt er es nicht? Warum findet mich stets Sein dämonischer Blick. Warum kann ich nicht fliehn! Warum schau ich zurück? Weil ein Zauber mich bannt, Weil die Kraft mir gebricht. Warum liebt er mich so, Warum sagt er es nicht?
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Emma von Schultz (1844 - 1882) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Ella Adaïewsky (1846 - 1926), "Warum sagt er es nicht?", op. 3 (Lieder und Duette = Песни и дуэты (Pesni i duety)) no. 1 (1864), published 1872?3 [voice and piano], St. Petersburg : Büttner, also set in Russian (Русский) [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Albert Felix, Graf Amadei (1851 - 1894), "Warum?", op. 4 (Drei Gesänge für Alt (oder Bariton) mit Pianoforte) no. 2, published 1875 [alto or baritone and piano], Wien, Gotthard [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Rudolph, Freiherr von Procházka (1864 - 1936), "Frage", op. 10 (Acht Lieder und Gesänge für Mezzo-Sopran mit Pianoforte) no. 4, published 1895 [mezzo-soprano and piano], Braunschweig, Litolff [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in Russian (Русский), a translation by Pyotr Ivanovich Kalashnikov (1828 - ?) ENG ; composed by Ella Adaïewsky.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2011-08-19
Line count: 16
Word count: 72
Why ever does he follow me, This horrible man, Why does he smile thus, Why does he look at me, Why is there so often a twitching In his pale visage, Why does he love me so, Why does he not say it? Why does his demonic gaze Always settle on me? Why can I not flee! Why do I look back? Because I am caught in an enchantment, Because I lack the strength. Why does he love me so, Why does he not say it?
About the headline (FAQ)Translated titles:
"Warum sagt er es nicht?" = "Why does he not say it?"
"Warum?" = "Why?"
"Frage" = "Question"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2015 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2015-09-09
Line count: 16
Word count: 86