Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Was im Netze? Schau einmal! Aber ich bin bange; Greif' ich einen süßen Aal? Greif' ich eine Schlange? Lieb' is blinde Fischerin; Sagt dem Kinde, Wo greift's hin? Schon schnellt mir's in Händen! Ach Jammer! O Lust! Mit Schmiegen und Wenden Mir schlüpft's an die Brust. Es beißt sich, o Wunder! Mir keck durch die Haut, Schießt's Herze hinunter! O Liebe, mir graut! Was tun, was beginnen? Das schaurige Ding, Es schnalzet dadrinnen, Es legt sich im Ring. Gift muß ich haben! Hier schleicht es herum, Tut wonniglich graben Und bringt mich noch um!
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Eduard Mörike, Gedichte Dramatisches Erzählendes, Stuttgart: J.G. Cotta’sche Buchhandlung Nachf., 1961, page 43
- by Eduard Mörike (1804 - 1875), "Erstes Liebeslied eines Mädchens" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Hugo Distler (1908 - 1942), "Erstes Liebeslied eines Mädchens", op. 19 (Mörike-Chorliederbuch), Heft 2 no. 12 (1939) [ chorus ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Karl Ludwig Friedrich Hetsch (1806 - 1872), "Erstes Liebeslied eines Mädchens", published 1838/9 [ voice, guitar, and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Fritz Schieri (b. 1922), "Erstes Liebeslied eines Mädchens", 1993 [ female voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Manfred Schlenker (b. 1926), "Erstes Liebeslied eines Mädchens", published 2006 [ vocal quintet ], from Zehn Mörike-Burlesken für fünf Stimmen, no. 2 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Wolfgang Ulrich (1924 - 1995), "Liebes-Lied eines Mädchen", 1982 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Erstes Liebeslied eines Mädchens", from Mörike-Lieder, no. 42 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , no title, copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Premier chant d'amour d'une jeune fille", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Stéphane Goldet) (Pierre de Rosamel) , "Première chanson d'amour d'une jeunette", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Paolo Pupillo) , "Primo canto d’amore d’una fanciulla", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 24
Word count: 94
Is there something in the net? Let’s take a look! But I am frightened; Have I caught a sweet eel? Have I caught a snake? Love is a blind Fisher-maiden; Tell the child -- What has she grasped? Already it's flipping in my hands. Oh misery! Oh joy! With snuggling and writhing It slips to my breast. It bites, oh what a marvel! Its way boldly through my skin And shoots down to my heart! Oh, Love, I am terrified! What to do, how to begin? The horrible thing, It is flicking inside, It is coiling itself into a ring. I must have poison; Here it is slinking about, It is blissfully burrowing And will kill me yet!
About the headline (FAQ)Translated titles:
"Erstes Liebeslied eines Mädchens" = "First love-song of a maiden"
"Liebeslied eines Mädchens" = "Love-song of a maiden"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2016 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Eduard Mörike (1804 - 1875), "Erstes Liebeslied eines Mädchens"
This text was added to the website: 2016-03-04
Line count: 24
Word count: 117