Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Если можешь, пойми. Если хочешь, возьми. Ты один мне понравился между людьми. До тебя я была холодна и бледна. Я - с глубокого, тихого, темного дна. Нет, помедли. Сейчас загорится для нас Молодая луна. Вот - ты видишь? Зажглась! Дышит мрак голубой. Ну, целуй же! Ты мой? Здесь. И здесь. Так. И здесь... Ах, как сладко с тобой!
- by Konstantin Dmitrevich Bal'mont (1867 - 1942), "Русалка", written 1903 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by V. E. Byutsov , "Русалка" [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Reinhold Moritzevich Glière (1875 - 1956), "Русалка", op. 52 no. 8. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by M. A. Ostroglazov , "Русалка" [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Jennifer Gliere) , "Rusalka", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Rusalka", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2008-08-13
Line count: 8
Word count: 58
If you can, understand. If you want, take. You were the one among the crowd who pleased me. To you I was cold and pale. I, from the deep, quiet, dark bottom! No, linger. Now the young moon will catch fire for us. Here – you see? It lit up! It breathes blue gloom. Well, kiss me! Are you mine? Here. And here. Like this. And here…. Ah! It is sweet with you!
- Translation from Russian (Русский) to English copyright © 2016 by Jennifer Gliere, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Russian (Русский) by Konstantin Dmitrevich Bal'mont (1867 - 1942), "Русалка", written 1903
This text was added to the website: 2016-12-28
Line count: 8
Word count: 73