Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Падают, падают капли печальные, тяжко по крыше стучат. Ветер напевы поёт погребальные, ветви так грустно шумят. Падают, падают грёзы смущённые на душу мертвым дождём... Слёзы холодные, муки бессонные, сколько вас в сердце моём!
- by Daniil Maximovich Rathaus (1868 - 1937) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Reinhold Moritzevich Glière (1875 - 1956), "Падают капли печальные", op. 27 no. 6 (1906). [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Jennifer Gliere) , "Raindrops sadly fall", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Des gouttes de pluie tristement tombent", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 33
Fall, fall, sad raindrops, with a hard knocking on the roof. The wind sings a funeral song, the branches rustle so sadly. Fall, fall, confused dreams on my soul like a dead rain… Cold tears, sleepless agonies, so many of you weigh on my heart.
- Translation from Russian (Русский) to English copyright © 2017 by Jennifer Gliere, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2017-02-15
Line count: 8
Word count: 45