Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Меркнет слабый свет свечи... Бродит мрак унылый... И тоска сжимает грудь С непонятной силой... На печальные глаза Тихо сон нисходит... И с прошедшим в этом миг Речь душа заводит. Истомилася она Горестью глубокой. Появись же, хоть во сне, О, мой друг далекий!
- by Daniil Maximovich Rathaus (1868 - 1937) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (1840 - 1893), "Ночь", op. 73 (Шесть романсов = Shest' romansov (Six romances)) no. 2 (1893). [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Jennifer Gliere) , "Night", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Nuit", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bruno Tutenberg) , "Nachts"
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 42
The dim light of the candle flickers, Depressing gloom creeps all around, And longing grips the chest With incomprehensible power. On my sad eyes Quietly sleep descends, And at that moment, my heart Converses with the past. My spirit is exhausted With deeper anguish. Appear then, my distant friend, If only in a dream!
- Translation from Russian (Русский) to English copyright © 2017 by Jennifer Gliere, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2017-08-03
Line count: 12
Word count: 54