Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
κατθάνοισα δὲ κείσῃ οὐδέ ποτα μναμοσύνα σέθεν ἔσσετ' οὐδὲ †ποκ'†ὔστερον. οὐ γὰρ πεδέχῃς βρόδων τῶν ἐκ Πιερίας. ἀλλ' ἀφάνης κἠν Ἀίδα δόμῳ φοιτάσεις πεδ' ἀμαύρων νεκύων ἐκπεποταμένα
About the headline (FAQ)
Note: this is often referred to as Sappho Fragment 58 D.
- by Sappho (flourished c610-c580 BCE) [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- [ None yet in the database ]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by Mary Barnard (1909 - 2001) , appears in Sappho: A New Translation, first published 1958, copyright © ; composed by Eric Hudes.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Johann Gottfried Herder (1744 - 1803) , no title, appears in Stimmen der Völker in Liedern, in 2. Das zweite Buch. Lieder aus dem Süd, in 5. Fragmente griechischer Lieder. Sappho, no. 6 ; composed by Mathilde von Kralik.
- Also set in Russian (Русский), a translation by Vyacheslav Ivanovich Ivanov (1866 - 1949) [an adaptation] ; composed by Vissarion Yakovlevich Shebalin.
- Also set in Swedish (Svenska), a translation by Gustaf Emil Zilliacus (1878 - 1961) , copyright © ; composed by Staffan Björklund.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Henry Thornton Wharton)
- SAN Sanskrit (संस्कृतम्) (Holger Christian Teipel-Jahr) , copyright © 2021, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2012-02-20
Line count: 8
Word count: 27
मृता शेष्यसे। न तत्काले स्मृतिस्ते भविष्यति न पश्चात्काले। नहि देवपर्वतलोकजपापुष्पाण्यभजथाः। अदृष्टा त्वधोलोकदेवस्य गृहे भ्रमिष्यसि मृतानामात्मनाम्मध्ये निष्पतिता॥
About the headline (FAQ)Transliteration:
mr̥tā śeṣyase | na tatkāle smr̥tis te bhaviṣyati na paścātkāle | nahi devaparvatalokajapāpuṣpāṇy abhajathāḥ | adr̥ṣṭā tv adholokadevasya gr̥he bhramiṣyasi mr̥tānām ātmanāṁ madhye niṣpatitā ||
- Translation from Aeolic Greek to Sanskrit (संस्कृतम्) copyright © 2021 by Holger Christian Teipel-Jahr, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2021-09-24
Line count: 4
Word count: 16