Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Vous m'avez regardé avec toute votre âme. Vous m'avez regardé longtemps comme un ciel bleu. J'ai mis votre regard à l'ombre de [vos]1 yeux... Que ce regard était passionné et calme...
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 Boulanger: "mes"
- by Francis Jammes (1868 - 1938), no title, appears in Clairières dans le ciel, in Tristesses, no. 17, first published 1906 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Michel Bosc (b. 1963), "Vous m'avez regardé", 1999 [high voice, flute, and piano], from Tristesses, no. 17. [text not verified]
- by Lili Boulanger (1893 - 1918), "Vous m'avez regardé avec toute votre âme", 1914, published 1919 [high voice and piano or orchestra], from Clairières dans le ciel, no. 8, Ricordi [text verified 1 time]
- by Émile Naoumoff (b. 1962), "Vous m'avez regardé...", 2005 [voice and piano], from the collection Mélodies choisies, no. 13. [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Faith J. Cormier) , title 1: "You looked at me with all your soul", copyright © 2003, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-07-12 16:09:06
Line count: 4
Word count: 31
You looked at me with all your soul. You looked at me for a long time, like a blue sky. I put your glance in the shadow of my eyes... How passionate and calm it was...
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2003 by Faith J. Cormier, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in French (Français) by Francis Jammes (1868 - 1938), no title, appears in Clairières dans le ciel, in Tristesses, no. 17, first published 1906
Text added to the website: 2004-01-27 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:04
Line count: 4
Word count: 36