Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Was weht um meine Schläfe Wie laue Frühlingsluft, Was spielt um meine Wangen Wie süßer Rosenduft? Es ist dein holder Gedanke, Der tröstend mich umspielt, Es ist dein stilles Sehnen, Was meine Schläfe kühlt! Und was wie Harfenklänge Um meine Sinne schwirrt, Mein Name ist's, der leise Von deinen Lippen irrt. Ich fühle deine Nähe! Es ist dein Wunsch, dein Geist, Der mich aus weiter Ferne An deinen Busen reißt.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Eligius Franz Joseph, Freiherr von Münch-Bellinghausen (1806 - 1871), as Friedrich Halm, no title, appears in Hochzeitlieder, no. 8 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Anton Eberhardt (1855 - 1922), "Geisternähe", op. 13 (Sechs Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianofortebleitung) no. 6, published 1888 [ voice and piano ], Berlin, Fr. Luckhardt [sung text not yet checked]
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Geisternähe", op. 77 (Lieder und Gesänge für Singstimme und Klavier (Heft 3)) no. 3 (1850), published 1851 [ voice and piano ], Leipzig, Whistling [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Proximitat de l’esperit", copyright © 2021, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Geesten elkaar nabij", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Bertram Kottmann) , "Spirits around", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Esprit proche", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: John Versmoren
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 16
Word count: 70
What is it that wafts around my temple like a mild breeze in spring, what plays about my cheeks like sweet scent of roses? It is your graceful thought that plays about me giving comfort, it is your silent yearning that cools my temple! And that which whirrs through my senses like sounds of a harp, it is my name, which softly wanders from your lips. I feel you near! It is your desire, your spirit that pulls me from far away to your bosom.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2005 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Eligius Franz Joseph, Freiherr von Münch-Bellinghausen (1806 - 1871), as Friedrich Halm, no title, appears in Hochzeitlieder, no. 8
This text was added to the website: 2005-01-08
Line count: 16
Word count: 85