Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Das Röschen, das du mir geschickt, Von deiner lieben Hand gepflückt, Es lebte kaum zum Abendrot, Das Heimweh gab ihm frühen Tod; Nun schwebet gleich sein Geist von hier Als kleines Lied zurück zu dir.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with: Uhlands Werke, Erster Teil, Gedichte, herausgegeben von Adalbert Silbermann, Berlin, Leipzig, Wien, Stuttgart: Deutsches Verlagshaus Bong & Co., [no year], page 86.
- by Johann Ludwig Uhland (1787 - 1862), "Antwort", appears in Sinngedichte [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Adalbert von Goldschmidt (1848 - 1906), "Albumblatt", published 1891 [ voice and piano ], from 18 Lieder und Gesänge für 1 Singstimme mit Pianofortebegleitung, no. 10, Berlin, Challier & Co. [sung text not yet checked]
- by Camillo Horn (1860 - 1941), "Antwort", op. 57 no. 1, published 1906-1913 [ medium voice and piano ], from Kleine Lieder (Zweite Folge), no. 1, Leipzig, Kahnt Nachfolger [sung text not yet checked]
- by Otto Horr , "Antwort", published 1881 [ voice and piano ], from Drei Lieder für Sopran (oder Tenor) mit Pianoforte -- für Alt (oder Bariton) mit Pianoforte, no. 2, Frankfurt a/M., Henkel [sung text not yet checked]
- by Josephine Lang (1815 - 1880), "Antwort", op. 11 (Sechs deutsche Lieder) no. 1 (1832), published 1845 [ voice and piano ], Leipzig, Kistner [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Ludvig Norman (1831 - 1885), "Antwort", op. 13 (Åtta smärre sånger vid pianoforte) no. 2, also set in Swedish (Svenska) [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Charles Camille Saint-Saëns (1835 - 1921), "Antwort", 1854? [ voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in Swedish (Svenska), a translation by Wilhelm Bauck (1808 - 1877) , "Svar" ; composed by Ludvig Norman.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Réponse", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Joanna Lonergan , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2005-03-23
Line count: 6
Word count: 35
The little rose that you sent me, Picked by your dear hand, It barely lived until sunset; Homesickness gave it an early death. Now its spirit shall soon drift away from here, Back to you in the form of a little poem/song.
About the headline (FAQ)Translated titles:
"Albumblatt" = "Album entry"
"Antwort" = "Reply"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2006 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Ludwig Uhland (1787 - 1862), "Antwort", appears in Sinngedichte
This text was added to the website: 2006-11-21
Line count: 6
Word count: 42