Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wie das so seltsam traurig macht: Ein Gang durch eine fremde Stadt, Die liegt und schläft in stiller Nacht Und mondbeglänzte Dächer hat. Und über Turm und Giebel reist Der Wolken wunderliche Flucht Still und gewaltig wie ein Geist, Der heimatlos nach Heimat sucht. Du aber, plötzlich übermannt, Ergibst dem wehen Zauber dich Und legst dein Bündel aus der Hand Und weinest lang und bitterlich.
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada and the U.S., but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 97.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Fremde Stadt", written 1901, appears in Neue deutsche Lyriker III , in Von Wanderungen, first published 1919 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Heinrich Döhler , "Fremde Stadt" [ alto and piano ], from Fünf Lieder für Alt nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Géza Frid (1904 - 1989), "Fremde Stadt", op. 60 no. 1, published 1960 [ voice and piano ], from Auf Reise, liederencyclus in de modus lascivus, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hans Kracke (1910 - 1989), "Fremde Stadt", published 1955 [ four-part men's chorus a cappella ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Robert Owens (1925 - 2017), "Fremde Stadt", op. 20 (3 Lieder) no. 1 [ baritone and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Heinrich Pestalozzi (1878 - 1940), "Fremde Stadt ", op. 45 no. 2, published 1926 [ four-part mixed chorus a cappella ], from Fünf gemischte Chöre, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Martin Rössler (b. 1934), "Fremde Stadt ", 1958 [ soprano and piano ], from Unterwegs - Liederzyklus für Sopran und Klavier nach Texten von Hermann Hesse, no. 3 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Christian Immo Schneider (b. 1935), "Fremde Stadt ", op. 12 no. 6 [ medium voice and piano ], from Zwölf volkstümliche Gesänge für mittlere Stimme nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 6 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Peter Suitner (b. 1928), "Fremde Stadt ", op. 115b [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Unfamiliar city", copyright © 2021, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-05-04
Line count: 12
Word count: 65
How it makes one so strangely sad: A walk through an unfamiliar city That lies there sleeping in the quiet night And has rooftops glinting with moonlight. And above the turrets and gables Travels the wondrous flight of clouds, As still and vast as a spirit That, homeless, seeks a home. You, however, suddenly overcome, Give yourself over to the painful enchantment And lay down the bundle from your hand, And weep long and bitterly.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2021 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Fremde Stadt", written 1901, appears in Neue deutsche Lyriker III , in Von Wanderungen, first published 1919
This text was added to the website: 2021-01-30
Line count: 12
Word count: 75