Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Leise sank von dunklen Schritten der Schnee, Im Schatten des Baums Heben die rosigen Lider Liebende. Immer folgt den dunklen Rufen der Schiffer Stern und Nacht; Und die Ruder schlagen leise im Takt. Balde an verfallener Mauer blühen Die Veilchen Ergrünt so stille die Schläfe des Einsamen.
- by Georg Trakl (1887 - 1914), "Im Frühling", appears in Sebastian im Traum, in Sebastian im Traum [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Walter Abendroth (1896 - 1973), "Im Frühling", op. 29 no. 1 [ baritone and piano ], from Trakl-Triologie für Bariton und Klavier, no. 1 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Theodor W. Adorno (1903 - 1969), "Im Frühling", op. 5 no. 3 [ voice and piano ], from Klage : Sechs Gedichte von Georg Trakl für Singstimme und Klavier, no. 3 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Friedhelm Döhl (b. 1936), "Im Frühling", 1956, first performed 1980 [ voice and piano ], from Trakl Lieder, no. 1, confirmed with a CD booklet [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Wilhelm Killmayer (1927 - 2017), "Im Frühling", 1993 [ tenor and piano ], from Trakl-Lieder I, no. 5, Mainz, Schott [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Josef Schelb (1894 - 1977), "Im Frühling", first performed 1964 [ soprano, flute, clarinet, 2 violins, viola, and violoncello ], from 4 Gesänge nach Texten von Georg Trakl, no. 3 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Jan Stuten (1890 - 1948), "Im Frühling", published 1936? [ low voice and chamber orchestra or piano ], from Die vier Jahreszeiten, no. 7 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Bertram Kottmann) , "In Spring ", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Au printemps", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "A primavera", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Harry Joelson
This text was added to the website: 2007-07-29
Line count: 9
Word count: 47
Lieve affonda la neve sotto le orme oscure, Sotto l'albero, nell'ombra, sollevano gli amanti le rosee palpebre. Sempre seguite le cupe grida dei naviganti stella e notte; e i remi battono lievi in cadenza. Presto sul muro in rovina fioriranno le viole Così rinverdisce quieta la tempia del solitario.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2007 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Georg Trakl (1887 - 1914), "Im Frühling", appears in Sebastian im Traum, in Sebastian im Traum
This text was added to the website: 2007-08-14
Line count: 9
Word count: 49