Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ich schwebe wie auf Engelsschwingen, Die Erde kaum berührt mein Fuß, In meinen Ohren hör' ich's [klingen]1 Wie der Geliebten Scheidegruß. Das tönt so lieblich, mild und leise, Das spricht so zage, zart und rein, Leicht lullt die nachgeklung'ne Weise In wonneschweren Traum mich ein. [Mein Himmel lebt in meinem Busen, Der droben ist mir Hekuba, Im Herzen wohnen meine Musen Und nimmer in Olympia.]2 Mein schimmernd Aug' -- indeß mich füllen Die süßesten der Melodien, -- Sieht ohne Falten, ohne Hüllen Mein lächelnd Lieb' vorüberziehn.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 Reger: "klagen"
2 omitted by Reger and Strauss.
- by Karl Friedrich Henckell (1864 - 1929), "Ich schwebe wie..." [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Max Reger (1873 - 1916), "Ich schwebe", op. 62 (Sechzehn Gesänge) no. 14 (1901) [ medium voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Richard Georg Strauss (1864 - 1949), "Ich schwebe", op. 48 (Fünf Lieder nach Gedichten von Otto Julius Bierbaum und Karl Henckell) no. 2 (1900), published 1901 [ voice and piano ], Berlin, Fürstner [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Linda Godry) , "I float", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Je plane", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Enrico Magnani) , "Io fluttuo", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Walter Riemer
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 16
Word count: 84
I float as if on an angel's wings, my foot hardly touching the ground, I hear a lament resounding As if it were my love's farewell. It resounds, so lovely, gentle and soft, It speaks to me, so shy, so frail and pure, The echo of the melody softly lulling Me into a blissful dream. My gleaming eye, while basking In the sweetest of melodies Watches my smiling love go by Without any fabric's fold, any wraps.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2007 by Linda Godry, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Karl Friedrich Henckell (1864 - 1929), "Ich schwebe wie..."
This text was added to the website: 2007-11-28
Line count: 12
Word count: 77