Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ach, um deine feuchten Schwingen, West, wie sehr ich dich beneide: Denn du kannst ihm Kunde bringen Was ich [in der]1 Trennung leide! Die Bewegung deiner Flügel Weckt im Busen stilles Sehnen; Blumen, [Augen]2, Wald und Hügel Stehn bei deinem Hauch in Thränen. Doch dein mildes sanftes Wehen Kühlt die wunden Augenlieder; Ach, für Leid müßt' ich vergehen, Hofft' ich nicht [zu sehn ihn]3 wieder. [Eile denn]4 zu meinem Lieben, Spreche sanft zu seinem Herzen; Doch vermeid' ihn zu betrüben Und [verbirg]5 ihm meine Schmerzen. Sag [ihm, aber]6 sag's bescheiden: Seine Liebe sey mein Leben, Freudiges Gefühl von beiden Wird mir seine Nähe geben.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Goethe's Werke. Vollständige Ausgabe letzter Hand. Fünfter Band. Unter des durchlauchtigsten deutschen Bundes schützenden Privilegien. Stuttgart und Tübingen, in der J. G. Cotta'schen Buchhandlung. 1827, pages 185-186; and with West-oestlicher Divan. von Goethe. Stuttgard, in der Cottaischen Buchhandlung 1819, pages 166-167.
Note: Marianne von Willemer's poem Westwind was published anonymously with the title Suleika as part of Goethe's West-östlicher Divan, Buch Suleika - Suleika Nameh, with a few textual revisions by Goethe.1 Willemer's original poem: "durch die"
2 Schubert: "Auen"
3 Willemer's original poem: "wir sehn uns"
4 Willemer's original poem: "Geh denn hin"
5 Willemer's original poem: "verschweig"
6 Willemer's original poem: "ihm nur, doch"
Note: modernized spelling would change "Augenlieder" to "Augenlider", "sey" to "sei", and "Thränen" to "Tränen", etc.
- sometimes misattributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832)
- by Marianne von Willemer (1784 - 1860), title 1: "Suleika", title 2: "Westwind", written 1815, first published 1819 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Nicolas Bacri (b. 1961), "Suleika", op. 126a no. 2 (2012), first performed 2013 [ voice and piano ], from Drei romantische Liebesgesänge, no. 2 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Carl Banck (1809 - 1889), "Suleikas Song", op. 7 no. 5 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Karl Collan (1828 - 1871), "Suleika", 1855 [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by (Franz) Carl Adalbert Eberwein (1786 - 1868), "Suleika" [sung text not yet checked]
- by Moritz Hauptmann (1792 - 1868), "Ach! um deine feuchten Schwingen", op. 28 (12 Lieder) no. 5, published 1842 [ voice and piano ], Leipzig, Peters [sung text not yet checked]
- by (Jakob Ludwig) Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy (1809 - 1847), "Suleika", op. 34 (Sechs Gesänge) no. 4 (1837) [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Fanny Mendelssohn-Hensel (1805 - 1847), "Suleika", 1836 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Benedikt Randhartinger (1802 - 1893), "Suleika", probably 1830 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Suleika II", op. 31, D 717 (1821), published 1825, first performed 1825 [ voice, piano ], A. Pennauer, VN 133, Wien [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Artur Seemann (1861 - 1925), "Suleika. An den Westwind", op. 13 no. 1, published , from Suleika. Sieben Lieder für eine hohe Singstimme mit Klavierbegleitung, no. 1, Leipzig: C. F. Kahnt [sung text not yet checked]
- by Karl Friedrich Zelter (1758 - 1832), "Suleika", 1820 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Suleika II", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Suleika", copyright ©
- ENG English (Elisabeth Siekhaus) , "Ah, how I envy you, westwind", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (Shula Keller) , "Suleika", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FIN Finnish (Suomi) (Erkki Pullinen) , "Suleika II", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Ah, come invidio il tuo soffiare", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Richard Morris , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 20
Word count: 104
Ah, how I envy you, westwind For your moist wings: Because you can bring him tidings What I suffer in our separation. The movement of your wings Awakens quiet yearning in my breast; Flowers, fields, forest and hills Stand in tears at your breath. But your mild gentle blowing Cools my aching eyelids; Ah, I would pass away with sorrow, Did I not hope to see him again. Hurry then to my beloved, Talk softly to his heart; But take care not to sadden him, And conceal from him my pains. Tell him, but say it modestly: That his love is my life; Happiness in them both His presence will bring me.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2008 by Elisabeth Siekhaus, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) misattributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832) and by Marianne von Willemer (1784 - 1860), title 1: "Suleika", title 2: "Westwind", written 1815, first published 1819
This text was added to the website: 2008-06-14
Line count: 20
Word count: 112