Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Of cool sweet dew and radiance mild The moon a web of silence weaves In the still garden where a child Gathers the simple salad leaves. A moondew stars her hanging hair And moonlight [kisses]1 her young brow And, gathering she sings an air: [Fair as the wave is, fair art thou!]2 Be mine, I pray, a waxen ear To shield me from her childish croon, And mine a shielded heart for her Who gathers simples of the moon.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
First published in Poetry, May 1917
An inscription reads: "O bella bionda!/ Sei come l'onda!"
1 in some editions, "touches"
2 Bliss: "O bella bionda! Sei come l'onda!" (the inscription)
- by James Joyce (1882 - 1941), "Simples", appears in Pomes Penyeach, no. 7 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Arthur Edward Drummond Bliss, Sir (1891 - 1975), "Simples", c1931, published 1933, first performed 1932 [voice and piano], from The Joyce Book, no. 7. [text verified 1 time]
- by David Del Tredici (b. 1937), "Simples", 1965 [soprano, mezzo-soprano or counter-tenor, and instrumental ensemble], from Night Conjure-Verse, no. 1. [text verified 1 time]
- by Robin Field (b. 1935), "Of cool sweet dew and radiance mild", 1967 [tenor, oboe, and string quartet], from The sly reeds whisper [text not verified]
- by Ben Moore (b. 1960), "Simples" [voice and piano], from Eight Songs, no. 6. [text not verified]
- by Laughton W. Patrick (b. 1934), "Simples", 1959. [medium voice, violin, and piano] [text not verified]
- by Bernard Rands (b. 1935), "Simples", published 1980, first performed 1981 [soprano and orchestra], from Canti lunatici, no. 2, London : Universal Edition [text verified 1 time]
- by John David White (b. 1931), "Simples" [low voice and piano], from Three Joyce Songs [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Simples", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ted Perry
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-09-13 23:09:32
Line count: 12
Word count: 79
De rosée froide et légère et de rayonnement doux La lune tisse une toile de silence Dans le jardin tranquille où une enfant Cueille les simples feuilles de salade. Une rosée de lune étoile sa chevelure pendante Et la lumière de la lune baise son jeune front Et, tout en cueillant, elle chante un air : Blond comme la vague, blond, tu es ! Sois à moi, je t'en prie, oreille de cire, Pour me protéger de son chant enfantin Et à moi un cœur protégé contre elle Qui cueille les simples de la lune.
- Translation from English to French (Français) copyright © 2009 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in English by James Joyce (1882 - 1941), "Simples", appears in Pomes Penyeach, no. 7
Text added to the website: 2009-11-09 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:03:27
Line count: 12
Word count: 95