Thank you for visiting!
If you haven't already, please consider donating.
Visitor donations keep us online and growing!
Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Dein Liebesfeuer, Ach Herr! wie teuer Wollt' ich es hegen, Wollt' ich es pflegen! Hab's nicht geheget, Und nicht gepfleget, Bin tot im Herzen -- O Höllenschmerzen!
Confirmed with Eduard Mörike, Gedichte, Dramatisches, Erzählendes, Zweite, erweiterte Auflage, Stuttgart: J.G. Cotta'sche Buchhandlung Nachf., 1961, page 133-134.Note: the poem is preceded by the Latin inscription
Jesu benigne! A cuius igne Opto flagrare Et Te amare: Cur non flagravi? Cur non amavi Te, Jesu Christe? - O frigus triste!
- by Eduard Mörike (1804 - 1875), "Seufzer", subtitle: "(Altes Lied)" [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Tobias Hiller (b. 1966), "Seufzer", 2004 [ mixed chorus a cappella ], from Musikalische Mörike-Kommentare, no. 6 [sung text not yet checked]
- by (Karl) Emil Kauffmann (1836 - 1909), "Seufzer", op. 11 (Vier Lieder) no. 4, published 1868 [ low voice and piano ], Stuttgart, Zumsteeg [sung text not yet checked]
- by Wilhelm Killmayer (1927 - 2017), "Seufzer", 2005, published 2014 [ tenor and piano ], from Mörike-Lieder für Tenor und Klavier, no. 15, note: added to the cycle in 2005. Mainz, London, Berlin, Madrid, New York, Paris, Prague, Tokyo, Toronto: Schott Music [sung text checked 1 time]
- by August Ferdinand Riccius (1819 - 1886), "Seufzer", op. 15 no. 3, published 1852 [ vocal duet for soprano and alto with piano ], from Drei ernste zweistimmige Lieder für Sopran und Alt mit Pianoforte, no. 3, Magdeburg, Heinrichshofen [sung text not yet checked]
- by Fritz Franz Schieri (1922 - 2009), "Seufzer", 1993 [ voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Ad. Stolz , "Seufzer", published 1892 [ medium voice and piano ], from Drei geistliche Lieder für 1 mittlere Singstimme mit Pianofortebegleitung, no. 1, Ludwigsburg, Ebner [sung text not yet checked]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Seufzer", from Mörike-Lieder, no. 22 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Sospir", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , "Sigh", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Soupir", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Stéphane Goldet) (Pierre de Rosamel) , "Soupir", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Sospiro", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 26
La teva flama d’amor, ai Senyor, que tendrament volia conservar-la, com volia tenir-ne cura! Però no l’he conservat i no n’he tingut cura, el meu cor és mort, oh penes infernals!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Catalan (Català) copyright © 2019 by Salvador Pila, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Eduard Mörike (1804 - 1875), "Seufzer", subtitle: "(Altes Lied)"
This text was added to the website: 2019-09-29
Line count: 8
Word count: 31