Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Das Perfekt und das Imperfekt tranken Sekt.1 Sie stießen aufs Futurum an (was man wohl gelten lassen kann).2 Plusquamper und Exaktfutur blinzten nur.
1 Bergman inserts here: "Sie tranken Sekt, sie haben getrunken." 2 Bergman inserts here: "Sie werden Sekt trinken, / Sie werden getrunken haben."
- by Christian Morgenstern (1871 - 1914), "Unter Zeiten", appears in Galgenlieder [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Gary Bachlund (b. 1947), "Unter Zeiten", 2010 [soprano and piano], from Zehn Morgenstern-lieder, no. 8 [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Erik Bergman (1911 - 2006), "Unter Zeiten", op. 51b (Vier Galgenlieder (Four Gallows Songs)) no. 4 (1960), first performed 1961 [3 speakers and speaking (mixed) chorus] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Richard Farber (b. 1945), "Unter Zeiten", from Galgenlieder, no. 46 [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Gary Bachlund) , "Under tenses", rhymed paraphrase, copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FIN Finnish (Suomi) (Erkki Pullinen) , "Aikojen kesken", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Entre temps", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2008-07-31
Line count: 6
Word count: 23
Le passé composé et l'imparfait buvaient du mousseux. Ils trinquent au futur (qu'on peut bien faire valoir). Plus-que-parfait et futur précis clignaient simplement des yeux.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2011 by Pierre Mathé, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Christian Morgenstern (1871 - 1914), "Unter Zeiten", appears in Galgenlieder
This text was added to the website: 2011-10-22
Line count: 6
Word count: 25