Man blest no doubt who walk'th not out In wicked men's affairs, And stand'th no day in sinner's way Nor sit'th in scorner's chairs; But hath his will in God's law still, This law to love aright, And will him use, on it to muse, To keep it day and night.
- by Matthew Parker, Archbishop (1504 - 1575) [an adaptation] [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Thomas Tallis (c1505 - 1585), "Man blest no doubt", 1567 [chorus], from [Nine] Tunes for Archbishop Parker's Psalter, no. 1 [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by Thomas Sternhold (d. 1549) , appears in The Scottish Psalter of 1635 FRE FRE GER SCO ; composed by Gary Bachlund.
- Also set in French (Français), a translation by Bible or other Sacred Texts [an adaptation] ENG ENG ENG GER SCO ; composed by Jean de Maletty.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Martin Luther (1483 - 1546) , "Psalm 1" ENG ENG ENG FRE FRE SCO ; composed by Robert Radecke, Heinrich Schütz.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by L. G. Silbergleit , "Der erste Psalm" ENG ENG ENG FRE FRE SCO ; composed by Eyvind Alnæs.
- Also set in Scottish (Scots), a translation by Robert Burns (1759 - 1796) , "Paraphrase of the First Psalm" [an adaptation] ENG ENG ENG FRE FRE GER GER ; composed by John Linton Gardner.
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2014-09-11
Line count: 8
Word count: 51