Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Von der Tafel rinnt der Wein, Alle Kerzen flackern trüber, Wieder bin ich [denn]1 allein, Wieder ist ein Fest vorüber. Traurig lösch ich Licht um Licht In den still gewordnen Räumen, Nur der Wind im Garten spricht Ängstlich mit den schwarzen Bäumen. Ach, wenn dieser Trost nicht wär, Müde Augen zuzumachen...! Und ich fühle kein Begehr, Jemals wieder aufzuwachen.
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada and the U.S., but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 204.1 Baur: "nun"
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Nach dem Fest", written 1913 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Jürg Baur (b. 1918), "Nach dem Fest" [ baritone and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Lukas Haug (b. 1921), "Nach dem Fest", published 1978 [ medium voice and piano ], from Hermann-Hesse-Zyklus, no. 9 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Heinz-Otto Hoffmann (b. 1902), "Nach dem Fest", 1932-47 [ voice and piano ], from 21 Lieder, no. 15 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Yrjö Henrik Kilpinen (1892 - 1959), "Nach dem Fest", op. 98 no. 6 (1942), from Herbst, no. 6 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Walter Kraft (1905 - 1977), "Nach dem Fest", 1929 [ voice and 2 violins ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hildegard Quiel (1888 - 1971), "Nach dem Fest ", published 1967 [ voice and piano ], from Hesse-Lieder, no. 6 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Walter Schulthess (1894 - 1971), "Nach dem Fest ", op. 4 (Sechs Lieder) no. 3, published 1919 [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Karl Franz Schwarz , "Nach dem Fest ", 1948 [ voice and piano (or orchestra?) ], from Musik des Einsamen, no. 6 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Carl von Szelle , "Nach dem Fest ", 1925 [ voice and piano ], from Sechszehn [sic] Gedichte von Hermann Hesse, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Rudolf Wagner-Régeny (1903 - 1969), "Nach dem Fest", published 1970 [ baritone and piano ], from Hermann-Hesse-Gesänge - Gesänge des Abschieds, no. 4 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "After the celebration", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Après la fête", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-04-30
Line count: 12
Word count: 59
The wine runs off the table, All the candles are flickering more dimly, [Thus]1 I am once again alone, Once again a celebration is over. Sadly I extinguish light upon light In the rooms that have grown quiet, Only the wind in the garden speaks Anxiously with the black trees. Ah, if I did not have this comfort, To close my weary eyes...! And I feel no desire Ever to waken again.
1 Baur: "Now"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2019 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Nach dem Fest", written 1913
This text was added to the website: 2019-03-18
Line count: 12
Word count: 72