Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ich will die Fluren meiden Mit meinem trüben Gram, Daß nicht der Lenz muß scheiden, Wo ich zu nahe kam; Daß nicht der Quell zu springen, [Zu blüh'n]1 der Blume Herz, Die Nachtigall zu singen Vergißt ob meinem Schmerz.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 Hauptmann: "Zu blüh'n vergisst"
- by Friedrich Rückert (1788 - 1866), no title, appears in Lyrische Gedichte, in 3. Liebesfrühling, in 3. Dritter Strauß. Entfremdet, no. 70 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Alban Maria Johannes Berg (1885 - 1935), "Ich will die Fluren meiden", 1904-5 [ voice and piano ], from Jugendlieder, Vol. I (1901-04), no. 17 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Elise Breiderhoff, née Frey (1849 - 1940), "Ich will die Fluren meiden", op. 3 (Vierzehn Lieder für 2 weibliche Stimme ohne Begleitung) no. 13, published 1897 [ vocal duet for female voices, unaccompanied ], Leipzig, Rieter-Biedermann [sung text not yet checked]
- by Moritz Hauptmann (1792 - 1868), "Ich will die Fluren meiden", op. 49 (12 Lieder für vierstimmigen Männerchor), Heft 2 no. 4, published 1861 [ four-part men's chorus a cappella ], Leipzig, Breitkopf und Härtel [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Heinrich Karl Johann Hofmann (1842 - 1902), "Ich will die Fluren meiden", op. 68 no. 3, published 1891 [ voice and piano ], from Sinnen und Minnen. Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte, no. 3, Leipzig, Breitkopf & Härtel [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Michael P. Rosewall) , "I want to avoid the meadows", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Jakob Kellner
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 39
I want to avoid the meadows With my sorrowful grief, So that the bloom of life might not depart If I came too near; That the spring would cease to flow The flower’s heart to blossom, The nightingale to sing On account of my pain.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2020 by Michael P. Rosewall, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Friedrich Rückert (1788 - 1866), no title, appears in Lyrische Gedichte, in 3. Liebesfrühling, in 3. Dritter Strauß. Entfremdet, no. 70
This text was added to the website: 2020-02-01
Line count: 8
Word count: 45