Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Тебя так любят все; один твой тихий вид Всех делает добрей и с жизнию мирит, Но ты грустна, в тебе есть скрытое мученье, В душе твоей звучит какой-то приговор; Зачем твой ласковый всегда так робок взор, И очи грустныя так молят о прощеньи, Как будто солнца свет, и вешние цветы, И тень в полдневный зной, и шопот по дубравам, И даже воздух тот, которым дышишь ты, Все кажется тебе стяжанием неправым?
- by Aleksei Konstantinovich Tolstoy, Count (1817 - 1875) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Sergei Vasil'yevich Rachmaninov (1873 - 1943), "Тебя так любят все", op. 14 (Двенадцать романсов = Dvenadcat' romansov (Twelve songs)) no. 6 (1896) [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sergey Rybin) , "Everyone loves you so", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 10
Word count: 71
Everyone loves you so; even your gentle appearance Makes everybody happier and reconciles them with life, But you are sombre, there is a hidden torment within you, Some sort of doom resounds within your soul; Why is your tender glance always so timid, And your melancholy eyes beg for forgiveness, As if the light of the sun, and spring flowers, And a shadow in the midday heat, and the rustling in the oak woods, And even the air that you breathe - All seems to you an unworthy cause?
- Translation from Russian (Русский) to English copyright © 2020 by Sergey Rybin, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Russian (Русский) by Aleksei Konstantinovich Tolstoy, Count (1817 - 1875)
This text was added to the website: 2020-11-16
Line count: 10
Word count: 89