Do not keep to yourself the [secret]1 of your heart, my friend! Say it to me, only to me, in secret. You who smile so gently, softly whisper, my heart will hear it, not my ears. The night is deep, the house is silent, the birds' nests are shrouded with sleep. Speak to me through hesitating tears, through faltering smiles, through sweet shame and pain, the secret of your heart!
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 Gompel: "secrets"
- by Rabindranath Tagore (1861 - 1941), no title, appears in The Gardener, no. 24, first published 1913 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
- a text in Bangla (Bengali) by Rabindranath Tagore (1861 - 1941) [text unavailable]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Karim Adam Al-Zand (b. 1970), "Do not keep to yourself", 2004 [mezzo-soprano and piano], from Tagore Love Songs, no. 1 [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Karim Adam Al-Zand (b. 1970), "Do not keep to yourself", 2004 [mezzo-soprano and piano], from The Secret of your Heart, no. 1 [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Frank van Gompel (b. 1965), "Do not keep to yourself", op. 33 no. 1, published 2001 [baritone, violoncello], from Three Songs for Bariton and Cello, no. 1 [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Raymond Hanson (1913 - 1976), "Do not keep to yourself", op. 39 no. 4 (1959/60) [tenor and piano], from Seven songs from The Gardener , no. 4 [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in Czech (Čeština), a translation by František Balej (1873 - 1918) ENG GER GER ITA ; composed by Josef Bohuslav Foerster.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Jan Śliwiński (1884 - 1950) , no title, appears in Der Gärtner, no. 24, first published 1916 CZE ENG ITA ; composed by Hermann Reiter.
- Also set in Italian (Italiano), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist CZE ENG GER GER ; composed by Franco Alfano, Vittorio Gnecchi Ruscone.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Behalte dein Geheimnis nicht", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2004-01-17
Line count: 15
Word count: 70