Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Laßt mich nur auf meinem Sattel gelten! Bleibt in euren Hütten, euren Zelten! Und ich reite froh in alle Ferne, Über meiner Mütze nur die Sterne. Er hat euch die Gestirne gesetzt Als Leiter zu Land und See; Damit ihr euch daran ergötzt, Stets blickend in die Höh.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Freisinn", written 1815, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 1. Buch des Sängers -- Moganni Nameh [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Hans Guido, Freiherr von Bülow (1830 - 1894), "Freisinn", op. 5 (Fünf Lieder) no. 1 (1852) [ bass and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by (Friedrich) August Bungert (1845 - 1915), "Lasst mich nur auf meinem Sattel gelten", op. 24 no. 4, published 1883 [ voice and piano ], from West-östliche Rosen. Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte, no. 4, Leipzig, Edit. Peters [sung text not yet checked]
- by Anton Grigoryevich Rubinstein (1829 - 1894), "Freisinn", op. 57 (Sechs Lieder) no. 5 (1860), published 1862 [ voice and piano ], Leipzig, Senff  [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Freisinn", op. 25 no. 2 (1840), published 1840 [ voice and piano ], from Myrten, no. 2, Leipzig, Kistner [sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in Russian (Русский), a translation by Viktor Aleksandrovich Krylov (1838 - 1908) [an adaptation] ; composed by Anton Grigoryevich Rubinstein.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Marta Garcia Cadena) , "Esperit lliure", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Enlightenment", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Esprit libre", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "Spirito libero", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 48
Datemi solo di salire in sella! Restatevene nelle vostre capanne, nelle vostre tende! Io cavalco felice per il mondo, sopra il mio berretto, solo le stelle. Egli ha messo gli astri per voi, per guidarvi in terra e in mare, perché ne siate lieti, guardando sempre verso l'alto.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2006 by Amelia Maria Imbarrato, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Amelia Maria Imbarrato. We have no current contact information for the copyright-holder.
If you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Freisinn", written 1815, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 1. Buch des Sängers -- Moganni Nameh
This text was added to the website: 2006-03-27
Line count: 8
Word count: 48