Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Ein Traum, ein Traum ist unser Leben auf Erden hier. Wie Schatten auf den Wogen schweben und schwinden wir. Und messen unsre trägen [Tritte]1 nach Raum und Zeit. Und sind - [und]2 wissen's nicht - in [Mitte der]3 Ewigkeit.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 Swienty, Zilcher: "Schritte"
2 Zilcher: "wir"
3 omitted by Swienty.
- by Johann Gottfried Herder (1744 - 1803) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ferenc Farkas (1905 - 2000), "Ein Traum", 1980, copyright © 1984 [four-part mixed chorus], from Heide-Skizzen, no. 1, Robitschek, AR 8551 [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Ernst Pepping (1901 - 1981), "Unser Leben", 1946, published 1949 [voice and piano], from Haus- und Trostbuch, no. 32 [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Claus Swienty , "Ein Traum" [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Felix Wolfes (1892 - 1971), "Ein Traum ist unser Leben", 1956 [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Hermann Karl Josef Zilcher (1881 - 1948), "Ein Traum ist unser Leben", op. 109 no. 3 [2 voices, 2 harmonicas], from Fünf Duette für zwei Singstimmen und zwei Mundharmonikas in C, no. 3, confirmed with a CD booklet [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by Bertram Kottmann , "Our life is but a dream, and dreaming", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission ITA ; composed by Gary Bachlund.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Sogno, soltanto sogno è l'esistenza", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Malcolm Wren [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2019-03-16 14:29:29
Line count: 8
Word count: 39
Sogno, soltanto sogno è l'esistenza Su questa terra. Ombra su schiuma d'onda è la nostra essenza Che si dilegua. E misuriamo a passi stanchi e lenti Lo spazio e il tempo. E non sappiamo di essere solo momenti Nel mezzo dell'eterno.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2007 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2007-12-05 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:32
Line count: 8
Word count: 41