Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
O zürne nicht, wenn mein Begehren [Dunkel]1 aus seinen Grenzen bricht, Soll es uns selber nicht verzehren, Muß es heraus ans Licht! Fühlst ja, wie all mein Innres brandet, Und wenn herauf der Aufruhr bricht, Jäh über deinen Frieden strandet, Dann bebst du aber du zürnst mir nicht.
1 Zemlinsky: "Brausend"
- by Richard Fedor Leopold Dehmel (1863 - 1920), "Ansturm" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Conrad (Eduard Reinhold) Ansorge (1862 - 1930), "Ansturm", op. 17 no. 1, published 1902 [voice and piano], from Fünf Lieder nach Gedichten von Richard Dehmel, no. 1, Berlin, Deneke [text not verified]
- by Alma Mahler (1879 - 1964), "Ansturm", 1915 [voice and piano], from Vier Lieder, no. 3. [text verified 1 time]
- by Alexander Zemlinsky (1871 - 1942), "Ansturm", 1907, from Fünf lieder auf Texte von Richard Dehmel, no. 2. [text verified 1 time]
Another version of this text exists in the database.
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Elisabeth Siekhaus) , title 1: "Onslaught", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title 1: "Assaut", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Martin Zubiria) , title 1: "Embate", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 48
O be not angry, when my desire [Darkly]1 breaks through its boundaries, If it is not to consume us, It has to come out to the light! You clearly can feel how I churn inside, And when my rapture breaks to the surface, Abruptly inundates your peace, Then you tremble but are not angry with me.
1 Zemlinsky version: "Thunderously"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2008 by Elisabeth Siekhaus, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Richard Fedor Leopold Dehmel (1863 - 1920), "Ansturm"
This text was added to the website: 2008-04-04
Line count: 8
Word count: 56