Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Die Nachtigall, sie war entfernt, Der Frühling lockt sie wieder; Was neues hat sie nicht gelernt, Singt alte, liebe Lieder.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Singable translation by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, appears in Einzelne, no. 3 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by (Leopold) Heinrich (Picot de Peccaduc), Freiherr von Herzogenberg (1843 - 1900), "Die Nachtigall sie war entfernt", op. 79 (Fünf Canons für 3 Solo-St. (oder Chor) mit oder ohne Pianoforte) no. 1, published 1894 [vocal trio or three-part chorus a cappella or with piano], Leipzig, Rieter-Biedermann [ sung text not verified ]
- by (Jakob Ludwig) Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy (1809 - 1847), "Die Nachtigall", op. 59 no. 4 (1843) [chorus], from Sechs Lieder im Freien zu singen, no. 4. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Michael P. Rosewall) , "The nightingale", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GRE Greek (Ελληνικά) [singable] (Christakis Poumbouris) , no title, copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "L'usignolo", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:30
Line count: 4
Word count: 20
Era lontano l'usignolo, la primavera un'altra volta lo attira; Non ha imparato niente di nuovo, canta una cara canzone antica.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2008 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, appears in Einzelne, no. 3
Text added to the website: 2009-01-01 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:03:02
Line count: 4
Word count: 20