Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Die Nachtigall, sie war entfernt, Der Frühling lockt sie wieder; Was neues hat sie nicht gelernt, Singt alte, liebe Lieder.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Singable translation by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, appears in Einzelne, no. 3 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by (Leopold) Heinrich (Picot de Peccaduc), Freiherr von Herzogenberg (1843 - 1900), "Die Nachtigall sie war entfernt", op. 79 (Fünf Canons für 3 Solo-St. (oder Chor) mit oder ohne Pianoforte) no. 1, published 1894 [ vocal trio or three-part chorus a cappella or with piano ], Leipzig, Rieter-Biedermann [sung text not yet checked]
- by Felix Mendelssohn (1809 - 1847), "Die Nachtigall", op. 59 no. 4 (1843) [ chorus ], from Sechs Lieder im Freien zu singen, no. 4 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2021, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Michael P. Rosewall) , "The nightingale", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GRE Greek (Ελληνικά) [singable] (Christakis Poumbouris) , no title, copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "L'usignolo", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 4
Word count: 20
The nightingale was far away, But the spring has tempted her once again; She has not learned anything new, So sings old, beloved songs.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2011 by Michael P. Rosewall, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, appears in Einzelne, no. 3
This text was added to the website: 2011-05-02
Line count: 4
Word count: 24