Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Меня ты в толпе не узнала, Твой взгляд не сказал ничего. Но чудно и страшно мне стало, Когда уловил я его. То было одно лишь мгновенье, Но, верь мне, я в нём перенёс Всей прошлой любви наслажденье Всю горечь забвенья и слёз!
- by Arseny Arkad'yevich Golenishchev-Kutuzov (1848 - 1913) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Modest Petrovich Musorgsky (1839 - 1881), "Меня ты в толпе не узнала", 1874, published 1874, from Без солнца = Bez solnca, no. 2. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sergey Rybin) , "You have not recognized me in the crowd", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Tu ne m'as pas reconnu dans la foule", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Frieder Anders) , "In der Menge", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Du hast mich in der Menge nicht erkannt", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 42
You have not recognized me in the crowd, Your glance did not say anything. But I felt wonder and fright When I caught it: It was only a moment; But believe me, within it I re-lived again All the delights of past love, All the bitterness of oblivion and tears!
- Translation from Russian (Русский) to English copyright © 2011 by Sergey Rybin, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Russian (Русский) by Arseny Arkad'yevich Golenishchev-Kutuzov (1848 - 1913)
This text was added to the website: 2011-06-19
Line count: 8
Word count: 50