Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Unter den rothen Blumen, Schlummere, lieb Vögelein! Unter den rothen Blumen, Graben wir traurig dich ein. Unter den rothen Blumen, Schlummere, lieb Vögelein! Hast uns so schön gesungen, Haben dich so sehr geliebt! Kehlchen hat ausgeklungen, Ach! wie uns das so sehr betrübt! Hast uns so schön gesungen, Haben dich so sehr geliebt! Als du noch sangest, Hatte Rosen blühender Mai geweckt. Aber heute mit Zeitlosen Haben wir dich zugedeckt! Unter den rothen Blumen Schlummere, lieb Vögelein!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Ludwig Bechstein (1801 - 1860) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johanna von Hahn , "Vögleins Begräbniss", published 1885 [ voice and piano ], from Zwölf Kinderlieder mit Pianoforte, no. 3, Riga, Seezen [sung text not yet checked]
- by Karl Heinrich Carsten Reinecke (1824 - 1910), "Vögeleins Begräbnis", op. 75 (Zehn Kinderlieder) no. 4 (1860) [ voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Frédéric Louis Ritter (1826 - 1891), "Vögeleins Begräbniss", op. 3, Heft 1 no. 5, published 1867 [ voice and piano ], from Kinder-Lieder, no. 5, Leipzig, Schuberth und Co. [sung text not yet checked]
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Nänie", op. 114 (Drei Lieder für drei Frauenstimmen und Klavier) no. 1 (1849), published 1853 [ vocal trio for female voices with piano ], Bonn, Simrock [sung text checked 1 time]
- by (Karl Gottfried) Wilhelm Taubert (1811 - 1891), "Vögleins Begräbniss", op. 204 no. 3, published 1892 [ voice and piano ], from Klänge aus der Kinderwelt, Heft XIV, no. 3, Berlin, Bote & Bock [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2021, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Klaaglied", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "A little funeral song", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Chant funèbre", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Guy Laffaille [Guest Editor] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2007-02-23
Line count: 18
Word count: 77
Under the red flowers, slumber, dear little bird! Under the red flowers we sadly lay you to rest. Under the red flowers, slumber, dear little bird! You sang so beautifully for us, we loved you so much! Your little voice has fallen silent, ah, how sad that makes us! You sang so beautifully for us, we loved you so much! When you were still singing, blossoming May had awakened the roses, But today it is with meadow saffron that we have covered you. Under the red flowers, slumber, dear little bird!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2011 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2011-08-25
Line count: 18
Word count: 91