Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Geh! Gehorche meinen Winken, Nutze deine jungen Tage, Lerne zeitig klüger sein! Auf des Glückes großer Waage Steht die Zunge selten ein. Du mußt steigen oder sinken, Du mußt herrschen und gewinnen Oder dienen und verlieren, Leiden oder triumphieren, Amboß oder Hammer sein.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Cophtisches Lied (Ein Anderes)", written 1787 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Max Bruch (1838 - 1920), "Zweites Kophtisches Lied", op. 59 (Fünf Lieder) no. 3 (1892), published 1892 [baritone and piano], Brüssel, Schott [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Leo Grill (1846 - 1919?), "Ein anderes", op. 6 no. 3, published 1874 [baritone or low tenor and piano], from Gesellige Lieder von W. Göthe, für Bariton oder tiefen Tenor mit Begleitung des Pianoforte, no. 3 [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Nikolaus, Freiherr von Krufft (1779 - 1818), "Kophtisches Lied", c1814, published 1870, from Zwölf Lieder, no. 5 [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Johann Friedrich Reichardt (1752 - 1814), "Kophtisches Lied", 1789, published 1796 [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Ernest Vietor (flourished 1905-1930), "Koptisches Lied", op. 10 no. 4 (1933) [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Cophtisches Lied II", 1888, published 1891 [voice and piano], from Goethe-Lieder, no. 15, Mainz, Schott [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist , copyright © [an adaptation] FRE ITA ; composed by Ralph Shapey.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Go, obey my message", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Chanson copte (une autre)", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Canzone copta II", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:30
Line count: 10
Word count: 43
Suvvia! Segui i miei suggerimenti, dei tuoi giovani giorni fai buon uso, e ad essere più saggio impara in tempo; sulla grande bilancia degli eventi raramente l'ago resta fisso, e ti tocca scendere o salire, e devi dominare ed essere più forte, o essere vinto e allora servire; dovrai soffrire oppure trionfare, d'incudine o di martello avere sorte.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2012 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Cophtisches Lied (Ein Anderes)", written 1787
Text added to the website: 2012-02-05 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:46
Line count: 10
Word count: 58