Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ночь печальна, как мечты мои... Далеко, в глухой степи широкой, Огонек мерцает одинокий... В сердце много грусти и любви. Но кому и как разскажешь ты, Что зовёт тебя, чем сердце полно? Путь далек, глухая степь безмолвна, Ночь печальна, как мои мечты.
About the headline (FAQ)Note on Transliterations
- by Ivan Alekseyevich Bunin (1870 - 1953), no title, written 1900 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Reinhold Moritzevich Glière (1875 - 1956), "Ночь печальна", op. 14 no. 1 (1904) [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Sergei Vasil'yevich Rachmaninov (1873 - 1943), "Ночь печальна", op. 26 (Пятнадцать романсов = Pjatnadcat' romansov (Fifteen songs)) no. 12 (1906) [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Kyle Gee) , "The night is sad", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "La nuit est triste", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 41
The night is sad, like my dreams... Far away, in the broad remote steppe*, A solitary light flickers... My heart is full of sadness and love. But to whom and how could you tell what beckons you, what fills your heart? Long is the road, indifferent is the silent steppe, the night is sad, like my dreams.
- Translation from Russian (Русский) to English copyright © 2012 by Kyle Gee, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Kyle Gee.  Contact: kyleanthonygee (AT) gmail (DOT) comIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in Russian (Русский) by Ivan Alekseyevich Bunin (1870 - 1953), no title, written 1900
This text was added to the website: 2012-08-18
Line count: 8
Word count: 57