Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Die warme Zeit ist wieder da, Nun gehen allwärts fern und nah Die Vagabunden auf den Strich Und keiner rastet mehr als ich. O wollte Gott mein Bein wär heil -- Ich ließ dem Armenhaus mein Teil Und ginge über Flur und Bach Ins Weite meinen Brüdern nach. Nun aber sitz ich bis zur Nacht Im Hoftor einsam auf der Wacht, Und kommt ein Wandrer ohne Schuh, Ruf ich ihm traurig Servus zu!
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada and the U.S., but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 114.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Der alte Landstreicher", written 1902 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Werner Bühler (1904 - 1968), "Der alte Landstreicher" [ voice and piano ], from Sechs Lieder nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 6 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Philipp Mohler (1908 - 1982), "Der alte Landstreicher ", op. 36 no. 1 (1957), published 1957-9 [ medium voice and piano ], from Vagabundenlieder - Gesänge nach Hermann Hesse für mittlere Stimme, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Friedrich Niggli (1875 - 1959), "Der alte Landstreicher", op. 8 (Zehn Lieder) no. 8, published 1913 [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by (Percy) Gerd Watkinson (b. 1918), "Der alte Landstreicher ", published 1975 [ four-part men's chorus a cappella ], from Landstreicherlieder auf Verse von Hermann Hesse, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Franz Xaver Zintl (1903 - 1987), "Der alte Landstreicher", <<1949 [ baritone and piano ], from Drei Handwerksburschenlieder, no. 3 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "The old vagabond", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Le vieux vagabond", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2008-06-13
Line count: 12
Word count: 72
The warm time has come again, Everywhere now, far and near, The vagabonds go on the stroll And none of them rests more than I. Oh would God that my leg were well -- I would leave my part to the poorhouse And would follow my brethern Into the distance over meadow and stream. But now I sit until nightfall In the gateway, on guard in solitude, And if a wanderer without shoes comes along, I sadly call out a Hello to him!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Der alte Landstreicher", written 1902
This text was added to the website: 2017-09-25
Line count: 12
Word count: 82