Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Laufeuchte Winde schweifen, Nachtvögel hört man überm Ried Mit schweren Flügeln streifen Und fern im Dorf ein Fischerlied. Aus niegewesenen Zeiten Sind trübe Sagen angestimmt Und Klagen um ewige Leiden; Weh dem, der sie bei Nacht vernimmt! Laß klagen, Kind, laß rauschen! Rings ist die Welt vom Leide schwer. Wir wollen den Vögeln lauschen Und auch dem Lied vom Dorfe her.
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada and the U.S., but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 133.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Zunachten", written 1905 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Herbert Brust (1900 - 1968), "Zunachten", op. 81 no. 3, published 1951 [ baritone and piano ], from Musik des Einsamen, no. 3 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Werner Bühler (1904 - 1968), "Zunachten" [ high voice and piano ], from Lieder für eine höhere Singstimme nach Texten von Hermann Hesse, no. 9 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Alois Heiduczek (1902 - 1973), "Zunachten" [ four-part women's chorus a cappella ], from Vier vierstimmige Frauenchöre a cappella nach Worten von Hermann Hesse, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Helmut König (b. 1930), "Zunachten", published 1955 [ voice and guitar ], fragment? [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Günther Langenberg , "Zunachten " [ voice and piano ], from Sechs Lieder, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Gottfried Rüdinger (1886 - 1946), "Zunachten ", op. 30 no. 2, published 1922 [ alto and piano ], from Spätblau - Ein Liederkreis nach Hermann Hesse für eine Alt-Stimme, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hermann Schmidt-Teich , "Zunachten ", 1935-6 [ tenor and orchestra ], from Sechs Gedichte von Hermann Hesse für Tenorstimme mit Orchesterbegleitung, no. 3 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Carl von Szelle , "Zunachten ", 1925 [ voice and piano ], from Sechszehn [sic] Gedichte von Hermann Hesse, no. 13 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by (Percy) Gerd Watkinson (b. 1918), "Zunachten", published 1975 [ four-part men's chorus a cappella ], from Landstreicherlieder auf Verse von Hermann Hesse, no. 5 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Justus Hermann Wetzel (1879 - 1973), "Zunachten ", 1960 [ voice and piano ], from Zwei Lieder nach Texten von Hermann Hesse, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Franz Xaver Zintl (1903 - 1987), "Zunachten ", 1950 [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "At night", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Tombée de la nuit", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-05-01
Line count: 12
Word count: 61
Warm, humid winds roam about, One hears night-birds roving Over the reeds with heavy wings, And far away in the village the song of a fisherman. From times that never were, Dreary voices are raised And laments over eternal sufferings; Woe unto him, who perceives them at night! Let them lament, child, let them rustle! The world around is laden with suffering. Let us listen to the birds And also to the song from the village.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Zunachten", written 1905
This text was added to the website: 2018-02-09
Line count: 12
Word count: 76