Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Laß mich ihm am Busen hangen, Mutter, Mutter! laß das Bangen. Frage nicht: wie soll sich's wenden? Frage nicht: wie soll das enden? Enden? Enden soll sich's nie, Wenden, noch nicht weiß ich, wie!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Friedrich Rückert (1788 - 1866), no title, appears in Lyrische Gedichte, in 3. Liebesfrühling, in 5. Fünfter Strauß. Verbunden, no. 36 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Friedrich Klose (1862 - 1942), "Lass mich ihm am Busen hangen", op. 8 no. 6, published 1892 [ mezzo-soprano and piano ], from Verbunden. Neun Gedichte für Mezzo-Sopran mit Pianofortebegleitung, no. 6, Berlin, Fr. Luckhardt [sung text not yet checked]
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Lied der Braut II", op. 25 no. 12 (1840), published 1840 [ voice and piano ], from Myrten, no. 12, Leipzig, Kistner [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Richard Trunk (1879 - 1968), "Lied der Braut", op. 5 (Fünf Gesänge) no. 4 [ voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Hermann Wichmann (1824 - 1905), "Lass mich ihm am Busen hangen", op. 23 (Sechs Lieder für eine Singstimme mit Pianoforte) no. 4, published 1860 [ voice and piano ], Berlin, Bahn [sung text not yet checked]
- by Carl Friedrich Zöllner (1800 - 1860), "Wie soll das enden", published 1841 [ voice and piano ], from Liebesfrühling von Fr. Rückert. 9 Lieder , no. 6, Leipzig, Kistner [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Marta Garcia Cadena) , "La cançó de la promesa II", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Lied van de bruid II", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Bertram Kottmann) , "The betrothed's song II", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Chant de la fiancée II", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Pilar Lirio
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 6
Word count: 34
Let me cling to his chest, Mother, Mother! Stop worrying. Don't ask: how shall it change? Don't ask: how shall it end? End? It shall never end, change, I still don't know how!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2005 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Friedrich Rückert (1788 - 1866), no title, appears in Lyrische Gedichte, in 3. Liebesfrühling, in 5. Fünfter Strauß. Verbunden, no. 36
This text was added to the website: 2005-02-25
Line count: 6
Word count: 33