Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Liebliches Kind, Kannst du mir sagen, [Sagen warum Zärtliche Seelen Einsam und stumm]1 Immer sich quälen, Selbst sich [betrügen]2, Und ihr Vergnügen Immer nur [ahnden]3, Da wo sie nicht sind? Kannst du mir's sagen, Liebliches Kind?
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with J.W. Goethe, Claudine von Villa Bella, Ein Schauspiel mit Gesang, Berlin: bey August Mylius, 1776, page 68.1 Brahms, Bruch, Neefe, and some others: "Warum einsam und stumm / Zärtliche Seelen"
2 Brahms: "betrüben"
3 Brahms, Bruch: "ahnen"
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, appears in Claudine von Villa Bella, Lied des Rugantino [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Serenade", op. 70 (Vier Gesänge) no. 3, published 1877 [voice and piano], Berlin, Simrock [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Max Bruch (1838 - 1920), "Frage", subtitle: "Lied des Rugentino", op. 49 (Lieder und Gesänge) no. 1 (<<1882), published 1882 [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Nikolai Karlovich Medtner (1880 - 1951), "Aus Claudine von Villa-Bella", op. 6 no. 5 (1904-5), also set in Russian (Русский) [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Hans Georg Nägeli (1773 - 1836), "Ungewissheit", 1800-10 [voice and piano] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Christian Gottlob Neefe (1748 - 1798), "Anhang", subtitle: "Serenate, aus Claudine von Villa Bella", published 1777 [voice and piano], from Serenaten beym Klavier zu singen, no. 7, Leipzig: Zu finden in der Dykischen Buchhandlung [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Johann Friedrich Reichardt (1752 - 1814), "Aus Claudine von Villa Bella", published 1781 [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in Russian (Русский), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist DUT ENG FRE ITA ; composed by Nikolai Karlovich Medtner.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Serenade (Lieftallig kind)", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Lovely child, can you tell me", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Mia cara fanciulla", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2018-12-08 10:40:23
Line count: 12
Word count: 36
Mia cara fanciulla, sai dirmi perché, solitarie e mute, anime delicate continuano a tormentarsi e ad affliggersi, presumendo sempre di trovare la gioia solo là dove non sono; sai dirmi perché, fanciulla mia cara?
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2008 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, appears in Claudine von Villa Bella, Lied des Rugantino
Text added to the website: 2008-11-09 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:03:00
Line count: 11
Word count: 34