Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Hat man viel, so wird man bald Noch viel mehr dazu bekommen. Wer nur wenig hat, dem wird Auch das Wenige genommen. Wenn du aber gar nichts hast, Ach, so lasse dich begraben -- Denn ein Recht zum Leben, Lump, Haben nur, die etwas haben.
- by Heinrich Heine (1797 - 1856), "Weltlauf", appears in Romanzero, in 2. Zweites Buch, in Lazarus, no. 1 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by David Leonard Blake (b. 1936), "Weltlauf", published 1981 [high voice and instrumental ensemble], from From the mattress grave : a cycle of twelve songs to poems by Heine, no. 4 [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Caspar René Hirschfeld (b. 1965), "Weltlauf", op. 68 (Deutsche Lieder : Buch II für Gesang und Klavier) no. 16, published c2003 [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Heinrich Huber , "Weltlauf", from Dichter unbekannt, no. 26 [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Peter Janssens (b. 1934), "Weltlauf", published 1976, from Heinrich Heine Song Buch, no. 19 [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Roland Moser (b. 1943), "Weltlauf", published 1985 [soprano with a strong low voice, piano, and actor with props], from Heinelieder, no. 7 [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Hans Georg Pflüger (1944 - 1999), "Weltlauf", op. 26 no. 1 [bass-baritone and piano], from Lazarus : zehn Lamentationen 'Aus der Matratzengruft' von Heinrich Heine, no. 1 [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Erich-Walter Sternberg (1891 - 1974), "Weltlauf", 1928?30?, published 1973 [baritone and chamber orchestra], from Halochem ha'amitz = Der brave Soldat = The brave soldier, no. 2 [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by (Richard Gustav) Heinz Tiessen (1887 - 1971), "Weltlauf", op. 55 (Drei Lieder nach Gedichten von Heinrich Heine) no. 1, published 1951 [soprano and piano] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Adriaan de Wit (b. 1952), "Weltlauf", op. 22 (Sieben Heine-Lieder) no. 2, published 1999 [soprano or mezzo-soprano and piano] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CZE Czech (Čeština) (Otokar Fischer) , "Běh světa"
- ENG English [singable] (Peter Palmer) , "Way of the world", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2008-02-09
Line count: 8
Word count: 44
Start out rich, and life will heap Even greater wealth upon you. Start with little wealth, and life Takes that little swiftly from you. When you've not a sou to spend, Ah, you might as well be buried; Only wealthy people, dolt, May the earth by rights inherit.
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2009 by Peter Palmer, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Heinrich Heine (1797 - 1856), "Weltlauf", appears in Romanzero, in 2. Zweites Buch, in Lazarus, no. 1
This text was added to the website: 2009-06-10
Line count: 8
Word count: 48