Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Я видел ночь: она передо мной, Вся в черном шла, живая, молодая Волшевница, с поникшей головой, Зарницами, как взглядами сверкая. Прозрачен был её воздушный стан; Но чуял я дыханья знойный трепет. И в тишине, как ласковый обман, Незримых уст призывный нёсся лепет: Казалось мне, что чудная зовёт Меня с собой к любви и наслажденью. И я всё шёл, всё шёл за ней вперед. Объятый весь огнём её и тенью.
- by Arseny Arkad'yevich Golenishchev-Kutuzov (1848 - 1913) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sergey Rybin) , title 1: "Apparition", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "La vision", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 69
I saw night. She before me Walked, all in black, alive, young, A sorceress with bowed head With lightening flashing like glances. Transparent was her light figure; But I felt her sultry, tremulous breath. And in the silence, like a tender illusion, Whispering from invisible lips was heard. It seemed that the beautiful one was calling me After her towards love and pleasure. And I walked and walked, Totally consumed by her fire and shadow.
- Translation from Russian (Русский) to English copyright © 2015 by Sergey Rybin, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Russian (Русский) by Arseny Arkad'yevich Golenishchev-Kutuzov (1848 - 1913)
This text was added to the website: 2015-10-26
Line count: 12
Word count: 75