Thank you for visiting!
If you haven't already, please consider donating.
Visitor donations keep us online and growing!
Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Am Abend schweigt die Klage Des Kuckucks im Wald. Tiefer neigt sich das Korn, Der rote Mohn. Schwarzes Gewitter droht Über dem Hügel. Das alte Lied der Grille Erstirbt im Feld. Nimmer regt sich das Laub Der Kastanie. Auf der Wendeltreppe Rauscht dein Kleid. Stille leuchtet die Kerze Im dunklen Zimmer; Eine silberne Hand Löschte sie aus; Windstille, sternlose Nacht.
- by Georg Trakl (1887 - 1914), "Sommer", appears in Sebastian im Traum, in Gesang des Abgeschiedenen [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Walter Abendroth (1896 - 1973), "Sommer", op. 29 no. 2 [ baritone and piano ], from Trakl-Triologie für Bariton und Klavier, no. 2 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Theodor W. Adorno (1903 - 1969), "Sommer", op. 5 no. 5 [ voice and piano ], from Klage : Sechs Gedichte von Georg Trakl für Singstimme und Klavier, no. 5 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Cesar Bresgen (1913 - 1988), "Sommer", 1962 [ baritone and piano ], from Vier Lieder für Bariton und Klavier, nach Gedichten von Georg Trakl, no. 1, note: this may be the wrong poem for this song [sung text not yet checked]
- by Friedhelm Döhl (b. 1936), "Sommer", 1956, first performed 1980 [ voice and piano ], from Trakl Lieder, no. 2, confirmed with a CD booklet [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Wilhelm Killmayer (1927 - 2017), "Sommer", 1993 [ tenor and piano ], from Trakl-Lieder I, no. 2, Mainz, Schott [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Arturo Milesi , "Sommer", published 1937 [ mezzo-soprano and piano ], from Drei Lieder, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Jan Stuten (1890 - 1948), "Sommer", published 1936? [ low voice and chamber orchestra or piano ], from Die vier Jahreszeiten, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Walter A. Aue) , "Summer", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Bertram Kottmann) , "Summer", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Été", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Estate", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Harry Joelson
This text was added to the website: 2007-07-29
Line count: 17
Word count: 60
At night-fall the cuckoo’s wail subsides in the woods. Deeper bends down the corn, the red poppy. Black thunderstorm’s threat o’er the hilltop. The old song of the cricket dies in the field. No longer the chestnut’s foliage stirs. On the spiral staircase your dress rustles. Calmly the candle gives light in the dark chamber; a silvery hand extinguished it; windless and starless night.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2016 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Georg Trakl (1887 - 1914), "Sommer", appears in Sebastian im Traum, in Gesang des Abgeschiedenen
This text was added to the website: 2016-06-20
Line count: 17
Word count: 64