Où vivre ? Dans quelle ombre Étouffer mon ennui ? Ma tristesse est plus sombre Que la nuit. Où mourir ? Sous quelle onde Noyer mon deuil amer ? Ma peine est plus profonde Que la mer. Où fuir ? De quelle sorte Égorger mon remord ? Ma douleur est plus forte Que la mort.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Les caresses, Nouvelle Édition, Paris, G. Charpentier, [no date], page 249.
- by Jean Richepin (1849 - 1926), no title, written 1877, appears in Les Caresses, in 4. Nivôse, no. 18, Paris, Éd. M. Dreyfous, first published 1882 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by César Antonovich Cui (1835 - 1918), "Où vivre?", op. 44 (Vingt Poemes de Jean Richepin) no. 6 (1890) [voice and piano], from Les caresses, no. 2, Éd. "Au Menestrel" Henri Heugel [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Ernest Moret (1871 - 1949), "Où vivre ?", 1894, published 1900 [high voice and piano], from Chansons tristes, no. 4, Paris, Éd. Heugel [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Florent Schmitt (1870 - 1958), "Où vivre?", op. 45 no. 1 (1912), published 1912 [voice and piano], from 4 Lieds, no. 1, Paris, Éd. S. Chapelier [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Nikolay Aleksandrovich Sokolov (1859 - 1922), "Où vivre ? Dans quelle ombre étonffer mon ennui?", op. 30 (Cinq Mélodies pour Chant et Piano) no. 4, published 1897 [voice and piano], Leipzig, Belaieff [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Louis Vierne (1870 - 1937), "Angoisse", op. 48, Heft 4 (Nivôse) no. 3 (1924), published 1927 [medium voice and piano], from Le poème de l'amour, no. 14, Éd. H. Lemoine [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in Russian (Русский), a translation by O. Chyumna ENG ITA ; composed by Mikhail Mikhailovich Ippolitov-Ivanov.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Corinne Orde) , "Anguish", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Francesco Campanella) , "Angoscia", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2016-01-12 23:29:03
Line count: 12
Word count: 55