Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Où vivre ? Dans quelle ombre Étouffer mon ennui ? Ma tristesse est plus sombre Que la nuit. Où mourir ? Sous quelle onde Noyer mon deuil amer ? Ma peine est plus profonde Que la mer. Où fuir ? De quelle sorte Égorger mon remord ? Ma douleur est plus forte Que la mort.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Les caresses, Nouvelle Édition, Paris, G. Charpentier, [no date], page 249.
- by Jean Richepin (1849 - 1926), no title, written 1877, appears in Les Caresses, in 4. Nivôse, no. 18, Paris, Éd. M. Dreyfous, first published 1882 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by César Antonovich Cui (1835 - 1918), "Où vivre?", op. 44 (Vingt Poemes de Jean Richepin) no. 6 (1890) [voice and piano], from Les caresses, no. 2, Éd. "Au Menestrel" Henri Heugel [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Ernest Moret (1871 - 1949), "Où vivre ?", 1894, published 1900 [high voice and piano], from Chansons tristes, no. 4, Paris, Éd. Heugel [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Florent Schmitt (1870 - 1958), "Où vivre?", op. 45 no. 1 (1912), published 1912 [voice and piano], from 4 Lieds, no. 1, Paris, Éd. S. Chapelier [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Nikolay Aleksandrovich Sokolov (1859 - 1922), "Où vivre ? Dans quelle ombre étonffer mon ennui?", op. 30 (Cinq Mélodies pour Chant et Piano) no. 4, published 1897 [voice and piano], Leipzig, Belaieff [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Louis Vierne (1870 - 1937), "Angoisse", op. 48, Heft 4 (Nivôse) no. 3 (1924), published 1927 [medium voice and piano], from Le poème de l'amour, no. 14, Éd. H. Lemoine [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in Russian (Русский), a translation by O. Chyumna ENG ITA ; composed by Mikhail Mikhailovich Ippolitov-Ivanov.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Corinne Orde) , "Anguish", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Francesco Campanella) , "Angoscia", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 55
Dove vivere? In quale ombra Tuffare la mia noia? La mia tristezza è più oscura Della notte. Dove morire? In quali onde Annegare il mio dolore amaro? La mia pena è più profonda Del mare. Dove fuggire? In quale vergogna Assassinare il mio rimpianto? Il mio dolore è più forte Della morte.
- Translation from French (Français) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2013 by Francesco Campanella, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in French (Français) by Jean Richepin (1849 - 1926), no title, written 1877, appears in Les Caresses, in 4. Nivôse, no. 18, Paris, Éd. M. Dreyfous, first published 1882
This text was added to the website: 2013-09-02
Line count: 12
Word count: 52