Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Schlafen, Schlafen, nichts als Schlafen! Kein Erwachen, [keinen Traum!]1 Jener Wehen, die mich trafen, Leisestes Erinnern kaum, Daß ich, wenn des Lebens Fülle Niederklingt in meine Ruh', Nur noch tiefer mich verhülle, Fester zu die Augen tu!
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 Schoeck: "kein Traum"
- by (Christian) Friedrich Hebbel (1813 - 1863), "Schlafen, Schlafen..." [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Alban Maria Johannes Berg (1885 - 1935), "Dem Schmerz sein Recht", op. 2 (Vier Gesänge) no. 1 (1910). [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Michael Brough (b. 1960), "Schlafen, schlafen", op. 15 (24 Lieder) no. 21 (1992-2004). [voice and piano] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Othmar Schoeck (1886 - 1957), "Schlafen, Schlafen, nichts als Schlafen", op. 14 (Vier Lieder für tiefere Stimme und Klavier) no. 4 (1907). [low voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Adam Taylor (b. 1981), "Schlafen, Schlafen", op. 28 no. 3 (2003) [SSAA chorus a cappella], from Four Songs of Calm, no. 3. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Anna Teichmüller (1861 - 1940), "Schlafen, Schlafen", op. 24 (Fünf Lieder für Singstimme und Klavier) no. 5, published 1910 [voice and piano], Berlin, Dreililien [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Richard Trunk (1879 - 1968), "Schlafen, Schlafen", op. 41 (Sechs Lieder) no. 3. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Jakob Kellner) , "To sleep, to sleep, nothing but to sleep!", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "À la douleur son dû", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Dormire, dormire, null'altro che dormire", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- NOR Norwegian (Bokmål) (Marianne Beate Kielland) , copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Jakob Kellner
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 37
Søvn, søvn, ingenting annet enn søvn! Ingen oppvåkning, ingen drøm! Enhver smerte som traff meg bærer jeg knapt noe minne om. Slik at jeg, når livets fylde Gjenlyder i min hvile, skjuler meg ennå dypere, og lukker øynene ennå tettere.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Norwegian (Bokmål) copyright © 2008 by Marianne Beate Kielland, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by (Christian) Friedrich Hebbel (1813 - 1863), "Schlafen, Schlafen..."
This text was added to the website: 2008-03-27
Line count: 8
Word count: 40